With everyone finally coming out of quarantine and social distancing measures, people are more ready than ever to get out, socialize, and spend time with friends and loved ones, both old and new. But, unfortunately, many people have begun to feel the effects of being isolated for so long and may feel mentally, emotionally, and physically drained.
With the COVID-19 vaccine, vaccinated people can safely socialize and connect with others. These types of connections are especially important for older adults—the group of people at highest risk for social isolation.
HarborChase of Tallahassee is highly committed to ensuring the comprehensive wellness of each of our residents. We know how important social interaction is, and we are proud to offer an enhanced lifestyle and daily social opportunities in our assisted living community. Our luxury senior living community embraces an “At Your Service” mindset and possesses an unwavering commitment to providing exceptional hospitality and resident-guest services.
We’re taking a look at some of the benefits of socialization and how you can find it in our Tallahassee assisted living community.
Benefits of Socialization for Older Adults
The value of socialization goes beyond simply “enjoying spending time with others”—there are a number of benefits that extend to mental, emotional, and even physical health. Here are some of the benefits that older adults can receive from regular social interaction.
Socializing and building connections with others can do wonders for your mental health. Countless studies verify that social interaction can reduce feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression, as well as sharpen knowledge, skills, and compassion, and even prevent cognitive decline. Furthermore, socialization has been shown to increase longevity, happiness, and overall satisfaction later in life.
In addition to mental health, being social can also be immensely important for your physical health. For example, the simple result of feeling less stressed, anxious, or depressed can translate into physical health benefits like increased immunity and better sleep. Plus, studies show that those who have a socially fulfilling life are more likely to lead a healthy and active lifestyle, resulting in even more physical health benefits.
Social Opportunities in Assisted Living
Since socialization is especially vital for older adults, assisted living communities work diligently to provide socialization opportunities that cater to every person’s unique lifestyle, interests, physical needs, and mental abilities. At HarborChase of Tallahassee, our assisted living and memory care community offers a diverse monthly calendar of activities and events that encourage socialization and foster physical and mental wellness. Each day, our associates ensure residents have the best day possible through these catered activities, as well as our high-end care and world-class hospitality.
Here are some of our daily socialization opportunities that our residents can experience and enjoy:
- Start the day off right with our morning programs! Each morning, our Tallahassee assisted living community offers brief morning get-togethers that encourage connection and community. During this time, we like to discuss current events, say good morning to our neighbors, and spend time with each other over a cup of coffee/tea.
- Get moving. Every day, we offer a unique fitness opportunity for residents to enjoy. Whether it’s stretching, yoga, cardio workouts, or even something different like volleyball or bean bags, there’s something for everyone! Our fitness programs not only get our residents active and moving, but they also provide an excellent opportunity to connect with others and meet new people. Each fitness class is led by professional and respectful individuals who go above and beyond to ensure residents are safe, able, engaged, and entertained.
- Savor some friendly competition. What better way to spend time with friends and neighbors than challenge them to a game of cards or trivia? HarborChase of Tallahassee Assisted Living hosts plenty of game nights for our residents to spend time with friends while challenging their brains!
- Celebrate special occasions. In addition to our regular fitness and social opportunities, HarborChase of Tallahassee hosts special events and programs, as well. For example, each month, we have a community-wide birthday bash to celebrate our residents. We also go on outings to local parks, museums, and stores. We celebrate senior living every day through best-in-class care and unique services.
- Enjoy a family affair. Lastly, resident family members and friends are always welcome to enjoy a meal or special celebration at HarborChase of Tallahassee!
Assisted Living in Tallahassee
In addition to the endless opportunities available at our assisted living community, the city of Tallahassee has many diverse and exciting social opportunities for older adults. The Tallahassee Senior Center offers affordable classes in subjects like American folk music and Florida geology, as well as excursions to a local wildlife refuge center.
Tallahassee is also home to several parks and outdoor spaces, including Cascades National Park with guided tours.
Whether you socialize for reduced stress, the physical health rewards, or simply enjoy being around other people, living a social lifestyle can benefit you in many ways. At HarborChase of Tallahassee, our assisted living community is focused on fostering social wellness in every single one of our residents.