Everyone loves a home-cooked meal, which is why cooking at home and making your own recipes can be even more rewarding than going to a restaurant. You’re not only able to select the ingredients and flavors that go into your meal, but most recipes call for more substantial portions or are labeled a family-sized dinner recipe. Unfortunately, many recipes are intended for groups of people, rather than one, so many seniors have trouble cooking at home.
Instead of your loved one making a large portion of food every time they cook, they could try making recipes that are intended for just one person. Making smaller recipes allows seniors to save money on ingredients, reduce waste, and still prepare meals that they love. HarborChase wants to share these two single-serving recipes that we’ve found to be absolutely delicious! Make sure to share them with the senior in your life so they can enjoy them too!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Blending flavors from French and Southern influences, Cajun chicken pasta dishes are traditional recipes that feature bursts of flavor for those who enjoy a little spice in their meals. Featuring skinless chicken breasts, sliced peppers, and a variety of seasonings, this meal is perfect for seniors that want something healthy, but flavorful!
To prepare this dish, you’ll need:
- 4 ounces linguine pasta
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Once you’ve collected all of the ingredients, you’ll need to follow these five simple steps!
- Boil a large pot of water and add pasta to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Shake chicken breasts in a plastic bag with Cajun seasoning to coat them.
- Saute the chicken in butter with a large skillet over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until tender.
- Place the bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions into the skillet with the chicken. Saute and stir for 2-3 minutes, then reduce heat.
- Add basil, lemon pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cream into the skillet. Once heated, add the cooked pasta and toss with ingredients in skillet. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Baked Tomato Basil Salmon
If your loved one is a fan of seafood, they’ll love this baked tomato basil salmon dish. This meal is not only perfect for one person, but it is healthy and easy to make! Salmon has been shown to provide exceptional health benefits, and it’s delicious, too.
To prepare this dish, you’ll need:
- 2 six-ounce boneless salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Once you’ve collected all of the ingredients, you’ll need to follow these steps!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and cover with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place salmon onto the foil and sprinkle with basil. Top the salmon with tomato slices, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Once the oven is preheated, bake salmon for 20 minutes or until it is opaque in the center, and the Parmesan on top has been browned.
Dining at HarborChase
Although cooking at home can be exciting and tasty, it can also be cumbersome and time-consuming. At HarborChase, our culinary teams feature professional chefs that tailor each meal to your loved one’s liking. Similar to cooking at home, residents can bring family recipes, flavors, and traditions right into our community and experience their favorite dishes. With the idea of farm to fork on each plate, every detail is given the utmost attention creating a truly unique dining experience.
Our communities feature a variety of dining settings to fit your loved one’s preferences. Whether they enjoy a fine dining setting with formal wear with their family, or they prefer to be casual and have a drink at the bar and lounge with friends, our communities are sure to accommodate their needs.If you’re interested in learning more about the dining experience in our HarborChase communities, we would love for you to visit us and see for yourself! Help your loved one enjoy a unique dining experience at HarborChase today.