A sociable life is a healthy life, and at HarborChase, we strive for life enrichment by channeling the individuality of each resident and treating them with elegant activities and social opportunities. Social isolation happens gradually, making it incredibly difficult to notice immediately, but it is never too late to make the change and lead a more social life.
Negative Impacts of Social Isolation on a Senior
There are countless negative impacts seniors face when they are isolated from not only family members, but also like-minded individuals who can relate to their day-to-day lives. Social isolation is one of the leading causes of depression in seniors which can lead to substance abuse, medical complications, and even suicidal tendencies or thoughts. Here are some of the destructive impacts social isolation causes in a senior:
- Withdrawal from friends, family, and daily activities
- Fluctuating or considerable amount of weight loss
- Lack of energy, appetite, or sleep
- Physical pain without much movement
- Headaches, fatigue, and anxiety
- A decrease in ability to think, increase in memory problems
- Disability and higher blood pressure
- Dementia or Alzheimer’s disease
“While this disorder has a widespread impact, unfortunately, many older adults do not know about late-life depression and consider it to be a normal part of aging and not a legitimate health concern.” If you have realized your loved one is experiencing a few of these symptoms, it is crucial to communicate with them about these negative impacts and the benefits of altering their life gradually to a more social, fun-filled life.
Benefits of Maintaining a Social Life in Seniors
Seniors that live an active life mentally and emotionally lead an enriching life filled with joy and increased self-esteem. When seniors have a reason to wake up every morning and feel their best for a rewarding day, it gives them a positive outlook on life. A positive outlook can lead to boosting their mental health incredibly. Here are some amazing benefits your loved one will experience when preserving a social life:
- Boost in psychological state and feeling a sense of belonging
- Active life keeps the brain sharp as they continuously observe and learn
- Lower the risk of Dementia or Alzheimer’s disease as they utilize their cognitive functions daily
- A sense of fulfillment and bliss
- Improved physical, mental, and emotional health
At HarborChase, we find it imperative to stay up-to-date on recent studies and activities to best prevent diseases and improve your loved one’s well-being daily.
Why HarborChase is an Amazing Solution
Seniors nationwide are realizing the active life senior living communities are providing their residents with and even seniors that are perfectly healthy are beginning to make the move. Living in a senior community gives a peace of mind, life enrichment, accessibility to enjoyable activities daily, and like-minded individuals eager to make new friends. Seniors no longer have to wait for holidays or plan events to have a reunion between family and friends. Here, at HarborChase, we plan events, activities, daily outings, and delicious meals our residents can experience together.
Here are a few ways we recommend to keeping your loved one active and nurturing relationships:
- View our activities calendar daily and stimulating their bodies with fun activities, and their minds with challenging, yet entertaining games, like puzzles
- Join programs within the senior community, or volunteering at local organizations
- Visiting family and friends, or vice versa
- Enjoy well-balanced nutritional meals in our fine-dining area with their neighbors and friends
- Visiting the gym with family or friends
At HarborChase, we pride ourselves in the exclusive activities, kindness, and elegant living we provide our residents with. We view seniors as individuals as we celebrate their lives daily. HarborChase not only has amazing and engaging activities, but we also have family-centered cookouts, birthday celebrations, and spacious outdoor areas to lounge and socialize.
We strive for excellence in life enrichment, comfortableness, and maintaining a confident and social life within your loved one. Contact us today to take the first steps in creating a more social experience for your loved one.